Gangtok, 16 Aug: A press conference called by Commerce and Industries Department, Government of Sikkim was held at the mini conference hall of Lemon Tree Hotels in Gangtok today.
The purpose of the conference was to apprise the press and media and entrepreneurs present in the conference about a new scheme initiated by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India, to set up BPO/ITES operations in the Sikkim and theNorth Eastern Region by incentivising under the Digital India programme.
The conference was chaired by Mr. B.S. Pant, Hon’ble Minister for Commerce and Industries Department, Government of Sikkim.
The officials of Commerce & Industries Department, Government of Sikkim, Additional Chief Secretary, Mr. Thomas Chandy, and Secretary, Mr. S.K. Pradhan, along with a team of officials from STPI (Software Technology Parks of India), Senior Director, Mr. Devesh Tyagi, STPI Delhi,
Additional Director, Mr. Debajit Sarma, STPI Guwahati and Director, Mr. Biren Tewari of NIC Gangtok were also present in the conference.
The ACS gave a brief introduction on the STPI and North East Promotion Scheme, followed by an elaborate presentation given by Mr. Debajit Sarma on the same.
In his presentation, additional director STPI Guwahati, Mr. Debajit Sarma shed light on the objectives, key achievements, exports by STPI registered IT/ITES units, Pan India Presence, export growth, STPI Centre in Sikkim, STPI Policy for setting Up of New STPI centres, North East BPO Promotion Scheme- it’s objectives eligibility and salient features, Annual Turnover Criteria for bidding, overall scheme status, sample Consortium Declaration, Key Lifecycle Stages under the scheme, major work Domain of the NEBPS Units, NEBPS Units with international Business, CoE-SIZ on ‘IT Applocations in healthcare’ at Sikkim and Fab Lab.
The objective of STPI are as follows:
* To promote the development and export of software and software services including Information Technology (IT) enabled Services/ Bio- IT
* to provide statutory and other promotional services to the exporters by implementing Software Technology Parks (STP)/ Electronics and Hardware Technology Parks (EHTP) schemes and other schemes which may be formulated and entrusted by the government from time to time
* to provide data communication services including value added services to IT/ IT enables Services (ITES) related Industries
* To promote micro, small and medium entrepreneurs by creating conducive environment for entrepreneurship in the field of IT/ITES.
STPI activities include-
* Facilitation: Interfacing between the government and the industry
* Statutory Role: Offering Single Window Services
* Providing Infrastructure: Providing State of the art Incubation Infrastructure
* Promotional Role: Stumulating Demand & Regional Development
And the Key Achievement of STPI are:
* Accelerated Growth of Software Exports
* Support Centre of SMEs
* Vehicle for Uniform Regional Development
* Accelerated Employment Generation
About NEBPS –
Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has notified North East BPO Promotion Scheme (NEBPS) under Digital India programme.
And the objective of NEBPS are as follow:
* creation of employment opportunities for the youth, by promoting the IT/ITES industry particularly by setting up the BPO/ITES operations in the North Eastern Region.
* Promotion of investment in IT/ITES industry and secure balanced regional growth
The presentation was followed by an Q&A session and the conference concluded by a Vote of Thanks which was delivered by Jaswant Nameirakpam (IFS) JS, Commerce and Industry.