Gangtok, January 19: (IPR) A Sensitization Programme on Voter Awareness for Ethnic Communities and NGOs working for person with disabilities (PWDs) was organized by Chief Electoral Officer, Sikkim at the conference hall of Election Commission Office, Balwakhani, today.
The programme was chaired by Chief Electoral Officer Shri R.Telang.
The programme was organized mainly to give message and information regarding upcoming General Election and its process. While addressing the programme, CEO Shri R. Telang informed that such awareness programmes are being organized to aware the masses right up to the grassroots level. He highlighted on various issues related to electoral Voter List, National Voters Day, VVPAT and Voting process for Differently-Abled Persons (PWDs).
The CEO informed:
1. That Sikkim is going to launch Voter Helpline number 1950 on National Voters Day 25th January for the facilitation of voters in the State. For authentic information anyone can access and check their enrolment list, polling stations, EPIC number and other voter registration information through ECI Voter Helpline Number, Helpline App, Web portal – nvsp.in. Election related grievances can also be solved online or with the use of digital platform.
2. About the Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) and Electronic Voting Machines, its functioning, how it will be helpful for the different communities and differently abled person and facilities created for them.
3. This time Election Commission of India added the VVPAT Machine in Election Process which is a paper slip machines which will come out when a voter casts his\her vote. The slip will automatically drop in a sealed box attached to the EVM for use by the election commission. It can only be seen by the concerned voter. She/he can know that the vote, she/he cast went to the candidate or not.
4. That the National Voters Day will be celebrated on 25th January at Chintan Bhawan with a theme “Nobody to be Left Behind”. And requested everyone to participate and celebrate the process of Democracy.
5. About the facilities and special arrangements made for the Voters with differently-abled persons (PWDs) such as wheelchairs, Braille’s for blind and other useful equipment. Also free transportation will be provided only for PWDs and Senior Citizens during the voting hours. PWDs voter are allowed to be escorted while casting their votes and also Help Line Desk for the PWDs will be situated on the venue.