Gangtok, December 10 (IPR): The two-day-long online State Level Kala Utsav Competition 2020 concluded at National Informatics Centre, Gangtok, today. The programme was organized by the Education Department under the aegis of Samagra Shiksha. This year’s competition was held through online mode following the norms of the COVID-19 pandemic. The participants of the districts also attended the competition from the respective district NICs.
Kala Utsav is an initiative of the Ministry of Education, Government of India to promote arts in education by nurturing and showcasing the artistic talent of school students in the country. The focus of Kala Utsav 2020 was on any one of the styles of traditional, classical, and folk art forms. The solo competition is being held in four areas of vocal music, instrumental music dance, visual art (2D and 3D) and indigenous toys/games for girls and boys separately.
The event was graced by Additional Chief Secretary, Education Department, Shri G. P. Upadhayaya as the Chief Guest on an inaugural day. The programme was also attended by the State Project Director (Samagra Shiksha), Shri Bhim Thatal as Special Guest followed by Joint Directors, Samagra Siksha and other officials of the Department.
Additional Chief Secretary, Education Department in his inaugural address blessed the participants and wish them luck for the future endeavours.
The inaugural day programme started with a welcome address and a brief overview of Kala-Utsav by Deputy Director Samagra Siksha Smt Kabita Moktan. She also highlighted the importance of arts in education and provided brief details of the selection process for Kala Utsav competition.
A total of 33 participants took part in the State Level Competition. The competition which was virtually screened by eminent artists and officials as jury members consisted of myriad colourful displays such as visual Arts 2-D, visual Arts 3-D, vocal music, instrumental music and indigenous toy-making arts in boys and girls category. In the competition, the children with special needs (CWSN) were also encouraged to participate and to express their hidden talents.
It may be mentioned here that the competitions were conducted in four districts at block and district level earlier for selection of one male and female participant in each art forms. The nine best solo performances in each domain of arts selected out of State Level Competition will represent in the National Level Competition slated to be held virtually in January 2021.
The two days programme concluded with the valuable suggestions by the State Project Director, Samagra Shiksha along with the declaration of results and distribution of certificates.
The names of the winners in each category are as follows:
1) Visual Arts 2D Boys- Bishal Sutradhar, Tadong Senior Secondary School, (East District).
2) Visual Arts 2D Girls- Chewang Doma Gurung, Mangan Senior Secondary School (North District).
3) Visual Arts 3D Boys- Arun Kumar Pradhan, Tadong Senior Secondary School, (East District).
4) Visual Arts 3D Girls- Reeta Chettri, Mangan Senior Secondary School, (North District).
5) Folk Music Instrumental Boys- Isha Hang Subba, Langang Senior Secondary School (West District).
6) Folk Music Instrumental Girls- Karen Baraily, Namchi Senior Secondary School (South District).
7) Instrumental Music Classic Solo Boys- Sushil Rai, Mangan Senior Secondary School (North District).
8) Dance Folk Solo Boys- Udai Rai, Sichey Senior Secondary School, (East District).
9) Dance Folk Solo Girls – Seeya Gurung, Dentam Senior Secondary School (West District).
10) Dance Classical Solo Girls – Leeom Lepcha, Mangan Senior Secondary School (North District).
11) Indigenous Toys/Games Boys- Ugen Lendup Lepcha, EMRS, Swayem (North District).
12) Indigenous Toys/Games Girls – Grace Sundas, Tadong Senior Secondary School (East District).
13) Vocal Music classical Boys- Gyan Tshering Lepcha, Tadong Senior Secondary School ( East District).
14) Vocal Music classical Girls – Mayalmit Lepcha, Mangan Senior Secondary School,(North District).
15) Vocal Music folk Boys- Kushal Manger, Assangthang Secondary School (South District.
16) Vocal Music folk Girls – Seema Rai, Sichey Senior Secondary School (East District).