1. The High Court of Sikkim launched e-filing module and e-payment system for the High Court and all the District Courts of the State of Sikkim on 3rd August 2020.
2. In a first of its kind for the High Court of Sikkim, the inaugural function was held online through video conferencing. Both the modules were launched by Hon’ble Mrs. Justice Meenakshi Madan Rai, Acting Chief Justice, High Court of Sikkim in the presence of Hon’ble Mr. Justice Bhaskar Raj Pradhan, Judge, High Court of Sikkim and Chairperson, Computer Committee.
3. The Advocate General of the State of Sikkim, Additional Advocate General, President, General Secretary and other members of Sikkim Bar Association of Sikkim, Judicial Officers, Officers of Sikkim State Legal Services Authorities and other dignitaries also participated in the inaugural session from their respective remote locations, through video conferencing.
4. Hon’ble Mr. Justice Bhaskar Raj Pradhan, Judge, High Court of Sikkim and Chairperson, Computer Committee in his address highlighted the importance of ICT and how it could be useful in the easy and speedy dispensation of justice. His Lordship emphasized the importance of filing cases through electronic mode and online payment of Court fees, particularly in the present COVID-19 pandemic situation.
5. Hon’ble Mrs. Justice Meenakshi Madan Rai, Acting Chief Justice, High Court of Sikkim in her inaugural address mentioned about the significance of e-filing and e-payment and how beneficial it is to the Learned Advocates and litigants, wherein case can be filed without having to visit Court Complexes, and payment can be made online. Her Ladyship informed that e-Sewa Kendra has been established in this High Court and all the District Courts of State to facilitate e-services to all the stakeholders who do not such facilities of their own. Her Ladyship requested the Bar Association of Sikkim also to establish such e-services centres for their members who cannot afford to file cases electronically or pay Court fees through online mode.
6. It is relevant to note that by the introduction of e-filing module and e-payment in all the Courts of the State of Sikkim, the litigants and their Learned Advocates will be able to file cases from the convenience of their home or office. However, for using the e-filing module, it is necessary for the litigants and Learned Advocates to register themselves in the portal https://efiling.ecourts.gov.in/sk/. Similarly, Court fees, fines and other judicial deposits can now be paid online through SBI e-pay, using their debit/credit cards or other multi-payment options. The link of both the modules are available on the website of the High Court of Sikkim https://hcs.gov.in. The e-filing and e-payment module is citizen centric and will provide easy access to justice for the litigants.
7. The welcome address and vote of thanks during the inaugural function was delivered by Mr. Karma W. Bhutia, Registrar General and Central Project Coordinator.